Accessible Distros for a beginner?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 12:24:29 UTC 2020

NVDA will not run in Wine. I heard it may have something to do with wine
lacking accessibility libraries or something, but I'm not sure. In Wine,
it either plays its startup sound and dies, or it does nothing at all. I
can't remember exactly, as it's been a long time since I've played with
it. I do recall playing with it on ReactOS, which is essentially a full
OS based at least partially on the Wine code base but including its own
kernel and graphical desktop environment. NVDA did not run there either,
and I saw something I thought I would never again see in life, the blue
screen of death. So Orca is currently the only workable solution on any
Linux desktop environment, and applications running in Wine will need to
self-voice in order to be usable. Perhaps this has changed in the years
I have used exclusively non-x86 hardware, but I haven't heard anything
through the grapevine that tells me anything different, so likely this
hasn't changed.

~Kyle