Hello

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Aug 25 21:28:08 UTC 2020

Hi, Ashley-

This list is a mixture of Linux enthusiasts, most of whom are blind or visually
impaired.  (I'm neither, but nobody has kicked me off so far. :-)  If you decide
you like Linux, this list should be a good fit.  Feel free to post any comment
or question that occurs to you.

One key difference between free and open source *nix systems (e.g., *BSD, Linux)
and the proprietary alternatives (e.g., iOS, macOS, MS Windows) is that the *nix
systems came of age in the 70's, when GUI's were mostly a pipe dream.  So, they
have several decades of text-oriented development to draw upon.   Although they
can and do support a variety of GUI-based apps and desktops, it's fairly rare for
a capability to be unavailable at the level of the command line, scripting, etc.

- Rich Morin