Remote Desktop Under Linux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Dec 31 22:35:35 UTC 2020

Tim here.  There are multiple ways to do remote access of which
Remote Desktop (RDP) is only one of them.  I've never tried to use
RDP to serve my Linux/BSD machines' GUI to another (Windows or
otherwise) machine.  However, I can confirm that if you're sitting at
the Linux/BSD machine, you can use RDP to access a remote Windows
machine.  However, accessibility may vary if you need access to
underlying accessibility data that a screen-reader might use.

For accessing a Linux/BSD machine's GUI from another machine, the two
most common ways I've encountered are to use VNC or to forward the X
protocol.  For the former, you'd install something like the
"tightvncserver" package on the Linux machine and install a VNC
viewer on your local machine.  You can then connect to it from your
local machine.  Note that this might leave your VNC/GUI login prompt
up for others to hammer on, so I'd either enable it via SSH manually
as-needed, or set up a secure tunnel (either a SSH tunnel or a VPN
tunnel) to the machine and ensure that VNC only listens on localhost.

In a similar fashion, if you have a local X server, you can use ssh's
"-X" parameter tunnel to the remote machine and open windows on your
local machine desktop. For example, issuing

  local$ ssh -X user at remote.example.com

creates a virtual X connection on the remote server, and then when
SSH'ed into that machine, I can launch programs there that display
locally such as:

  user at remote$ xcalc

Again, accessibility for either of them may be limited to the
graphics, so a screen-reader might face difficulty.  But a
screen-magnifier should still be of assistance.

Hope this helps,

-tim