early warning I hope

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Feb 19 09:47:35 UTC 2020

Hi Michaël,

let me answer to this part of your last message:

Le 19/02/2020 à 04:28, Michaël Caron Couturier a écrit :
> On the other side, Slint is Slackware based, out of the 5 majors
> distributions bases, it's one of the two far less used so the user have
> barely no community to help him in case of issues.

Really?

For Slackware proper, there is this a very active forum:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/

For Slint specifically we recently replaced the former mailing list by a
new one, cf. this blog post:
It is very friendly and active, you can check looking at the archives
for the current month: https://www.freelists.org/archive/slint/02-2020

We have now also a mumble channel dedicated to Slint.

So your statement "no community to help in case of issues" is not true.
The Slint mailing list is even more active than the debian-accessibility
mailing list that I also follow <smile>.
I don't say that to despise Debian which indeed is a good distribution,
and Debian contributors like Samuel do an outstanding job.

As an aside indeed Slint ships Mate with mate-tweak and Compiz, and
documents how to get the best of it:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/Accessibility/CompizKeyBindings

Slint also allows to switch between console mode and a desktop without
loosing speech out of the box, which you can do with other distributions
only with a not obvious post-install manual configuration.

That's not to say Slint is perfect, it certainly isn't. But we all ears
to bug reports and requests for help and enhancements.

Best regards,

Didier Spaier