An Unusual Alpine Challenge?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 04:36:07 UTC 2020

Hi All: I did ask in comp.mail.pine about this, with no responses. I had
lost quite a lot of text articles which I had been collecting all the way
back to when I first got on CompuServe in 1994. A great place of finding
News related wire stories were in Clari.net Usenet groups. Well, Giganews
still has postings mostly back to 2004, some from 2003. However, we found
an archive of articles from the 90s which are in .mbox format. I wanted to
simulate looking at these stories as single articles the way they came off
the news server, but these .mbox files are sometime 19thousand lines or
13MB. Sure there is Linux software to split these, but they are not
maintaining their orriginal article dates. I think the package is git
mail-split.
So I created a new folder in Alpine, gave it a path where these articles
are housed, but not only is Alpine still seeing the large .mbox file, but
Alpine is noticing these as read only sub-directories, which in reality
they are individual names of Clari news groups.
Can any1 please suggest how better to work with these? I would want to
aggregate groups of news stories to year related directories, then nuke
them-and-go on to the next group as you would in an actual news reader. I
tried naming these files differently thinking I can fool Alpine in to
rendering them as I was hoping. Thanks so much in advance for any-and-all
suggestions. There is another more complicate Debian package, mb2mdir  but
it just gives these files strings of numbers-and-letters.
Chime