installing speakup on RHEL 7/8

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Jul 18 11:07:24 UTC 2020

When he was still alive, Bill Acker routinely built Fedora kernels that
included Speakup, both before and after Speakup became part of staging.
I know for a fact that Bill tried, and never succeeded at building
Speakup into RHEL. Now Bill's been gone for a few years, but I've no
reason to believe the environment has suddenly become Speakup friendly,
sorry to say.

No, I don't recall what the block was/were.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the best answer I
can provide and I don't believe you're going to find very much different
info. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, of course.

It'll be interesting to see what RHEL does when Speakup finally becomes a
first class kernel citizen. If I understand the situation correctly,
that should come fairly soon.

Best,

Janina