installing speakup on RHEL 7/8

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jul 22 00:26:45 UTC 2020

The Kernel is pretty much a black box from my perspective, but as I
understand it, Speakup is a Kernel module, each distro is free to
decide which kernel modules to include in their default kernel, and
that due to REL being an extremely conservative distro, they exclude
pretty much everything in the staging tree, which includes Speakup.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that in order to use speakup on a REL
system, one would have to compile speakup and any other part of the
accessibility stack that directly relies on it, if not recompile the
whole kernel.

If switching to a different distro that does include speakup in its
default kernel isn't an option, one might have better luck getting a
userland screen reader like Fenrir up and running instead.