installing speakup on RHEL 7/8

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 16:59:30 UTC 2020

The dirty little secret is that the U.S. Government gave Redhat a pass
under 508 back around 2002 when the the then new Sec. 508 regulations
where newly in force.

So, with their pass they happily stepped away. While they did indeed
participate in our National Science Foundation sponsored conference on
Linux and desktop accessibility, they were far more interested in
desktop than console accessibility all along after 2002.

It may be time to revisit that 18-year old decision, but that won't
likely help you in the short run.

Best advice I can concot is to get a second small machine up and ssh in
to the RHEL system. Not a great solution, I know.

PS: I'm unaware whether Redhat has named an accessibility officer or
not. However, Redhat is now owned by IBM who definitely does have
accessibility people. Shaking their cage may be the better way to
approach this--still a longer term strategy, but they do need to do
something when Speakup leaves staging, so maybe not so very long term
after all.

hth.

Janina