Prospects for an accessible and open version of Android?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Jun 14 09:08:39 UTC 2020

I've been doing some web crawling, trying to get an idea of the prospects
for a blind-accessible, (mostly) open source OS for Android HW devices.

The rest of this message is a mishmash of links and notes; if anyone can
provide additions and corrections, I'd be most grateful...

-r

# Availability

The Android application package (APK) is the Golden Path for distribution,
but some Google Play apps aren't available to "rooted" Android phones:

SafetyNet Explained: Why Android Pay and Other Apps Don’t Work on Rooted Devices
  https://www.howtogeek.com/241012

It would be nice to have a Linux-friendly tool (e.g., APT) as an alternative.
Meanwhile, some packages are available via microG (https://microg.org).

# Accessibility

## Android

The Golden Path for a11y seems to be the Android Accessibility Suite, available
on the Google Play Store:

  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.marvin.talkback

More general information is available on the Android accessibility overview page:

  https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/6006564?hl=en

## Celia

This seems interesting, even though it (currently) only supports Chinese.
However, it (and EMUI) are proprietary.

> Celia is an artificially intelligent virtual assistant developed by Huawei
for its latest Android-based EMUI smartphones that lack Google Services
and a Google Assistant.

-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celia_(Virtual_assistant)

## Screen Readers, etc.

TalkBack and BrailleBack (both found in the Android Accessibility Suite)
seem to be the Golden Path for blind-friendly Android support.

Despite this title, there doesn't appear to be any APK version of Orca:

  Orca Download for Linux (apk, deb, eopkg, rpm, tgz, txz, xz, zst)
  https://pkgs.org/download/orca

More generally, I can't find any open source screen readers listed for APK: