Prospects for an accessible and open version of Android?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 01:05:26 UTC 2020

     Termux has something called 'PROOT' that allows one to use a
'chroot' environment in user space.  This in theory allows running Linux
under

some Android phones by using Termux.

Some linux distributions such as Arch, Debian, and Ubuntu are listed in
the TERMUX Wiki.

https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/PRoot

TERMUX is hard to use with TalkBack, but you can start it up.

Termux has an 'Espeak' package.  I was able to do a 'hello world' with
it.  You can start an SSH daemon and work on it from another computer,
but it would be necessary to port a text based screen reader into it as
far as I can tell.  Like others said the Android GUI seems to be Java
based, so I think people use a VNC client for the output of X Windows. I
assume that would not be accessible, but somebody may know better.

If anybody has Brltty going on an Android device, you might try Termux
and see if it can track the cursor.