anonymity, threads, signatures, and confusion

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jun 24 18:03:52 UTC 2020

> On Jun 24, 2020, at 10:43, (someone) wrote:
>
> You are aware of the history motivating the change?
> Indeed, there  was a time when identifying information was available, then the list was hacked in a way that scammers started using that information.

Yes, I'm aware of that unfortunate history.  However, there's no reason to make the list less useful, just to protect email addresses.

Adding an identifying signature (however obscure) lets folks follow conversations more easily.  If I know that the "FredQ" who posted one message posted another one earlier, it gives me useful context.

- Rich Morin (rdm at cfcl.com)