anonymity, threads, signatures, and confusion

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jun 24 19:01:04 UTC 2020

> On Jun 24, 2020, at 11:24, (someone) wrote:
>
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2020, (someone else; actually me) wrote:
>> Yes, I'm aware of that unfortunate history.  However, there's no reason to make the list less useful, just to protect email addresses.
> I suppose you are the list owner making this unilateral decision for everyone?

Nope; just making a plea for folks to voluntarily put in signatures of some sort.

> If not, more useful out weighing email address protection, for whom exactly?
> I am unsure what allows you to make these decisions, define these issues for others, when the current decision was discussed and the choice made.

I'm allowed to have my opinions, as is (I presume) anyone on the list.  My opinion, in this case, is that a way should be found to include some form of identification, without revealing the sender's email address.  That said, I'm not the list administrator, so I don't have (or want) any control in this matter.

> Nothing presently prevents individuals from placing anything they wish into the body of their posts.

Indeed.

-r