Want to try a GUI. Which one is best?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Mar 1 12:22:58 UTC 2020

Mate 1.24 got some accessibility love as compared to mate 1.18.  That's
not available on Debian Stretch and I don't know if it's available on
sid either.  Probably available on archlinux.  Getting mate installed on
archlinux without using Jenux and expecting it to run a screen reader
isn't yet well documented.  Machine resources are ultimate controlers
mate can run on low resource machines with gnome running on high
resource machines.  The kde environment is a Construction Zone and I
expect will remain so for some time yet.  Sighted people have
accidentally turned on the screen reader in mint and posted messages
trying to get help turning it off.  I tried knoppix and admittedly it
was a live disk and couldn't figure out how to get it to install to my
hard drive.  Knoppix does come up talking and a live disk is what to use
if doing banking transactions on windows machines in public places since
it doesn't leave any of your data behind when the disk is removed and
the machine is rebooted, or that's the way it's supposed to happen.  The
ubuntu family is available and is a good way to go if you have lots of
non-standard hardware since it can probably make that work in any case.
I may have left some possibilities out but that's why we're on an email
list so others can correct where necessary and/or elaborate on this
message.