Want to try a GUI. Which one is best?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Mar 1 22:51:02 UTC 2020

Hello,

Didier Spaier, Slint maintainer here.

This looks rather convoluted to me.

A lot simpler:
1. Install Slint (speech and braille are enabled during installation).
Accept the default settings when asked (start in console mode, choose
Mate as default graphical environment).
2. Start Slint.
You will be in a console, with speech and Braille active.
3. Type 'startx' when you want.
You will be in Mate with the Orca screen reader active.

At time of writing Slint ships Mate 1.22, hopefully will be upgraded to
1.24 next week.

Slint includes Compiz, with all accessibilty features set up.

To know more, read:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/README.installation
And the docs in:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/
Beginning with:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/Accessibility/Accessibility

Questions? Register to the Slint mailing lists sending an email to:
ecartis at freelists.org
from the email address you will use to send messages to the list, with
just in the Subject line:
join slint

Best regards,
Didier