Copying hardwrapped text into softwrapped web forms.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Nov 3 15:56:33 UTC 2020

Tim here.  The easiest way I've found is to use xsel or xclip to dump
your clipboard contents and reformat with the "fmt" command, giving a
ridiculously large rewrap width:

  $ xsel -ob | fmt -w 99999 | xsel -ib

If you're using the selection buffer (pasted with middle-mouse)
rather than the system clipboard (copied with control+C, pasted with
control+V), you can remove the "b" from both xsel invocations

  $ xsel -o | fmt -w 99999 | xsel -i

I find xsel easier to use, but if you have xclip installed, the
invocation is similar

  $ xclip -o -selection clipboard | fmt -w 99999 | xclip -i -selection clipboard

or for the selection buffer:

  $ xclip -o | fmt -w 99999 | xclip -i

If you have the content in a file, you can use that as the source
instead of the system clipboard:

  $ fmt -w 99999 file.txt | xsel -ib

Hope this gives you some solutions,

-Tim