Possibly Off-Topic: Earphone recommendations.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 15:36:47 UTC 2020

Why not blow a few more bucks and go bluetooth?  Given all of the tech
you have your media player might pair and your computer would pair with
a bluetooth card plugged into a usb slot.  This question would have
better been asked on electronics-talk at nfbnet.org.

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:10:34
> From: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com>
> To: Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com>,
>     Orca List <orca-list at gnome.org>, raspberry-vi at freelists.org
> Subject: Possibly Off-Topic: Earphone recommendations.
>
> Sorry if this qualifies as off-topic for any of the mailing lists I'm
> sending it to, but I figure I'm not the only one on any of these lists
> who wears earphones almost every waking moment and considers them one
> of the most essential pieces of technology they use on a daily basis.
>
> Anyways, as so often happens, frequent plugging and un plugging lead
> to the wires on the plug of my Panasonic ear clips to fray to the
> point one earpiece  is silent most of the time, and i have no spare
> earphones, so I'm in the market for a new pair.
>
> My initial thought is to just order a couple pairs of the same
> Panasonic earclips I've been using for years. They're comfortable
> enough for all day wear, have no sound quality issues I can detect,
> are fairly inexpensive(~$12-15 on Amazon depending on color choice),
> and I know what I'm going to get.
>
> On the other hand, the Panasonics I've been using for the last 5 years
> or so have always had an annoyingly short wire(I need to hike up my
> pants for the wire to reach my portable media player in my pocket and
> I more often than not have to use an extension cable with my desktop),
> wrapping the wire around my neck when no plugged into anything is kind
> of annoying, and they seem to be getting less durable(I've gone
> through two pairs since last December, the three previous pairs each
> averaged about a year-and-a-half based on my Amazon order history),
> and it would be nice to be able to ditch the wire when it isn't
> needed.
>
> But it's nearly impossible to find wireless earphones that are ear
> clip style, and even expanding to other form factors, it's hard to
> find a pair with halfway decent battery life, for under $30, and I've
> yet to find a pair that either had the option of using an aux cable
> for connecting to devices without Bluetooth or a dongle you could just
> plug into a 3.5mm jack, and best I can tell, Bluetooth adaptors aren't
> all that affordable either.
>
> So anyone have any recommendations for a good, inexpensive pair of
> earphones that either has a long, rugged wire or which is wireless
> with good battery life and a good solution for backwards compatibility
> with wired-only audio sources? Preferably of the ear clip
> style(regular earbuds are too insecure for my liking, earplug style
> earbuds irritate my ear canals and leave me prone to ear infections, I
> have big ears, so retro earmuff style headphones leave me with sore
> cartilage after a few hours, and behind the head earphones sound like
> they'd be uncomfortable with how much of my time is spent either
> laying down with my head on a pillow, in a recliner with my had on the
> [...]

United States has 633 Billionaires with only 10 doing any annual
significant giving.