Console screenreaders

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Oct 4 18:04:14 UTC 2020

Agreed, the hard-status line tends to be a bit interrupty.  If you
choose to use tmux, you can

  <prefix>:set -g status off

or put "set -g status off" in your ~/.tmux.conf

I can then use

  $ tmux list-windows

and

  $ tmux list-panes

to get further information about what windows/panes I have available
in any configuration (this information is in the default status bar
along with the clock, but the contant repainting of the status bar
gets chatty).

I suspect there is similar functionality in GNU screen.

-tim