Console screenreaders

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Oct 4 20:03:17 UTC 2020

Tim here.  If it helps (so to speak), nano *should* have an option to
turn off the help/status at the bottom either with the "-x" option on
the command-line or by adding

  set nohelp

to your ~/.nanorc file.  You can also get an additional line of
editing by either invoking it with the "-O" option or

  set morespace

in your ~/.nanorc file.  There's a pending patch to completely remove
the title-bar as well

https://www.zeuscat.com/andrew/software/nano/notitlebar.shtml

but I'm not sure that it has officially made it into a release yet.
With that you can use the "-OO" option or put

  set notitlebar

in your ~/.nanorc

It's not my primary editor as I'm more of a vi/vim/ed sort of guy,
but at least nano offers some options to make it less chatty if you
want.

-tim