building kernel for ac97 sound card

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Oct 23 14:17:54 UTC 2020

Hello,

To check if the the pcspkr driver is included in your running kernel, type:
zgrep -i pcspkr /proc/config.gz

Output here (Slint64-14.2.1.2):
CONFIG_HAVE_PCSPKR_PLATFORM=y
CONFIG_PCSPKR_PLATFORM=y
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=m

If instead the last line is;
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=n

you will need another kernel or reconfigure it.
PCSPKR is under drivers/input/mis in the kernel tree

Else you just need to type as root:
modprobe pcspkr
lo load the module.

This issue is not related to your sound card and ac97, as the beep
comes from the internal speaker attached to the mother board, not
from a sound card.

Didier Spaier
Slint maintainer