building kernel for ac97 sound card

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Oct 23 23:58:04 UTC 2020

With gentoo, everybody builds a custom kernel; that's a rite of passage.
 I did make clean in /usr/src/linux then ran make menuconfig again and
the only thing I did was to device drivers -> staging drivers -> speakup
console reader -> checked speakup-core has a star as does user speech
driver (speakup-soft) then I exited all the way out and ran all the make
steps again.  I rebooted system after installing grub and have no sound
on sound card in back of machine through traditional speaker jack or usb
so ac97 isn't included in gentoo by default.  My guess is gentoo is like
kali linux in that everything you want you have to explicitly turn on.I
got alsasound and espeak set up by configuration before doing the reboot
too.  I will go back in in chroot and see if I can find an ac97 module
available to install into the kernel to get this talking.  Failing that,
it's time to put a distro on that disk I can get talking.