Console screenreaders

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 18:56:35 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am trying to install and run those console screen-readers on Ubuntu
Mate 20, but failiing. I am even trying to have speech at bootup, but I
can't find any setting to do that. Can anyone direct me where to get
more info about using Fenrir or Speakup?

With Fenrir, try as I might since yesterday, running it does not produce
speech. Instead, I get this error,

I tried looking for any defaults on the Internet, but seems I am hitting
against a wall.

The same applies with Yasr: It says connection was refused and I do not
get any speech.

With speakup, soon after installing it with sudo apt-get install
espeakup speakup-tools, I get the following error:
 espeakup

TIa,

On Wednesday, 30 September 2020, at 19:23, Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Some anonymous miscreant wrote:
>>
>> espeak preferable to fenrir but that's only because fenrir reads ansi line
>> drawing characters when speaking.  espeak suppresses those characters.
>
> You might want to file a bug report, asking for this to be turned from a
> feature into an option.
>
> -r

Ishe Chinyoka
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Find me and my Factual musings at: https://www.chinyoka.com/