SL's response to all inquiries re: Readspeaker voices

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Apr 17 16:22:20 UTC 2021

I'm using voiceover in terminal now to write this.  I constructed a screen reader using the so called key commanders in combination with
existing voiceover key commands.

One main reason I don't use linux is the absence of easily intelligible voices, of which the mac and voiceover have many built in; including
in terminal which is a flavor of unix..

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

> Further, I believe?, that tdsr is recommended for the mac terminal, since
> voiceover cannot run effortlessly in terminal.
> Mac is a Unix based system, like Linux.
>

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>
> > If you made this synthesizer compatible with Speech Dispatcher then it
> > could be compatible with any screen reader that used Speech Dispatcher.  I
> > know that Orca and TDSR use Speech Dispatcher and others are probably able
> > to use it as well.
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 16, 2021, 5:56 PM Linux for blind general discussion <
> > blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Thanks for yourinterest and for all your good questions. It seems like
> >> maybe some ofyou missed the link to the demos that was posted in the first
> >> email.So for those who didn't see it, I am pasting it again here for you
> >> toclick and listen. I'm putting the link first so you don't miss it.But
> >> then, under that, I will endeavor to answer each of yourquestions as best I
> >> can. So please continue reading after clickingthe link:
> >>

> >> https://www.readspeaker.com/text-to-speech-demo/
> >>

> >> To Rudy:
> >>
> >> Hopefully the linkin this email will give you an idea of how the voices
> >> sound. When youclick it, it brings you to Readspeaker's official demo page
> >> where youcan hear short samples of the voices available.
If they are not
> [...]
> >> andstart with that. Hopefully offering voices for Orca graphical, and
> >> atleast the most widely used Console reader. I know there's quite a
> >> fewConsole readers out there, but we'd have to really decide where
> >> thedevelopers at Readspeaker would focus their time and effort intomaking
> >> their Linux compatible interface to bring Readspeaker voicesto
> >> screenreaders.
> >>

> >>  I think startingwith Orca for Graphical, and then one Console Reader,
> >> would be good.
> >>
> >> Havn't even gotteninto Emacs yet, but if that uses a seperate screenreader
> >> and iswidely used, then that would be something to consider including
> >> ifpossible. I'm just trying to cover the basics of something forgraphical,
> >> and something for console. As far as I know, isn't Emacslike a text editor
> >> and used for programming etc? Do people also useit like a screenreader to
> >> access daily tasks on Linux instead of OrcaOr Espeakup?
> >>
> >> To Didier:
> >>
> >> Wow, didn't know youalso reached out to Readspeaker as an Ivona
> >> distributor back in theday. Good to know. Its too bad that something can't
> >> be done to bringIvona to Linux seeing as one of their original pages said
> >> that anIvona SDK was compatible. But when I asked them, I got the
> >> sameresponse that Ivona is linked with Amazon now so Ivona is not an option.
> >>
> >>  I'm not the only oneto inquire. You asked them years before me, and I
> >> wouldn't besurprised if we're not the only ones to ask for Ivona.
> >> Quitefrustrating that Ivona is not more open to collaborating
> >> foraccessibility solutions on multiple platforms. Even from a
> >> strictlybusiness standpoint, Ivona could make additional proffits from
> >> selling solutions to Linux users. Oh well.
> >>
> >> As for theReadspeaker brand voices, when I contacted them, they did say
> >> thatthey usually only sell to businesses, not individuals; but they
> >> saidthat in this case, they would be willing to consider developing
> >> aninterface to bring Readspeaker voices to Linux screenreaders providedthat
> >> there is enough interest in the community, and that it would becommercially
> >> viable. Thats why I'm trying to get a baseline ofinterest, to see if its
> >> worthwhile to try to move forward with this.
> >>
> >> To Francisco:
> >>
> >> Yes, I totally agreewith you. Thats why I started this endeavor, first
> >> trying to bringIvona to Linux but that didn't work out. Now trying to
> >> bringReadspeaker's own brand of voices  to Linux. I too want to see
> >> morenatural sounding voices become available to Linux. Allowing Linuxusers
> >> to have a similar range of natural TTS choices as Windowsusers, and in
> >> return, more people may decide to give Linux a try.
> >>
> >> Thanks to all forthe inquiries, hope I was able to answer at least some of
> >> yourquestions, feel free to keep asking questions or sharing ideas, andfor
> >> those of you who missed the link the first time around, please dotry
> >> listening to the demos available on Readspeaker's web page.

XR