SL's response to all inquiries re: Readspeaker voices

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Apr 17 23:28:17 UTC 2021

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.
This is a very good question as responsiveness is very important. I once encountered a TTS synth with decent voices but I simply couldn't use it because of the lagging response. It was some sort of TTS synth compatible with Windows years ago, but I know how important responsiveness is.
I will bring this up with Readspeaker, that for us screenreader users, responsiveness is just as important as quality of voice. We can't use a synth that lags, or a voice that has an irritatingly long pause between every sentence.
So I'll ask them to confirm that if we move forward with a project to make these voices  available for Linux, to be sure that it has real time responsiveness for fast typing and fast reading and can keep up with keyboard navigation without distorting the speech output.
I will inform them about Espeak-ng if they are not already familiar with that synth, and ask that the developers refer to  that as a model for comparing responsiveness when creating a Linux SDK if this project moves forward.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
SL

"I'm interested, having heard the demos. They do sound more natural to me than espeak-NG really, but how responsive are they vs Espeak-NG?"