Thinking of getting a computer to install Linux on any suggestions?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Apr 30 12:53:23 UTC 2021

I recommend the Odroid N2, although you will need to get an eMMC chip or
a MicroSD for its storage and a case for it. It comes with 4GB of RAM,
so if you need more, the Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB is an option as well,
and it can also boot from MicroSD. The nice thing about both of these I
mentioned is that neither has UEFI to get in your way, and installation
is a one-time deal. You don't have to write an iso and run that, then
run an installer. You instead just write an image to your MicroSD and
run that. The written version is already installed to your media, no
second install is required. I put together these machines, install only
Linux-based operating systems and support them at no cost for 31 days,
or at your option, on an extended subscription plan. Let me know if
you're interested in this type of system and I can give you pricing
information. These do cost far less than most desktop and laptop
computers, so most likely it won't break the bank, and you will get a
pretty good Linux computer for the price. Mine for example runs faster
than the AMD FX beasty I had 5 years ago that cost me nearly $600 to
build, but only cost me roughly 1/4 the price, although that takes into
account I already had the flash storage I needed for it. The biggest
savings will come from your power bill, which will go down significantly
using one of these computers vs a traditional desktop or laptop. My
beasty that I mentioned for example pulled an astounding 250 watts under
moderately heavy load and sounded like it was ready to go into orbit,
whereas this N2 I'm using to write this message pulls no more than about
10 under the same load, and remains absolutely silent and even stays
cool to the touch. The Raspberry Pi 4 I mentioned won't be as cool, and
uses only MicroSD for storage, so it runs a bit slower when a lot of
reading and writing needs to be done, but it does have more RAM, and
still consumes far less power than a conventional desktop or laptop,
even under the heaviest load. Hope this helps.

~Kyle