Best Distro for Blind

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Apr 30 17:44:55 UTC 2021

I just switched from Vinux to Slint. Slint is orders of magnitude better.
Warning, I only use console, but with slint I can switch between speakup and fenrir, and within speakup
can switch between espeak and dectalk.
>From a quick read of slint getting started docs, you should be able
to choose between a variety of talking GUI environments, but most
of the discussion on the slint list is about Mate.

Rudy

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 01:20:41PM -0400, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am a totally blind person and a LONG time Windows/Jaws/NVDA user. I am
> wondering what would be a recommendation for the best distro/GUI environment
> to begin using??? I would love to be able to move away from Windows and use
> Linux full time for browsing, email, word processing and spreadsheets. I
> have a Thinkpad X220 that I can use for Linux. About 15 years ago, I played
> around with Venux, but that project seems to be dormant now. I have a Pi 3B+
> running some ham radio software and I have to SSH into it occasionally and
> perform some command line stuff. For daily usage, I want a full GUI
> environment.
>

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>

> John

Rudy Vener