Help, I need a Windows VM for my work

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Aug 10 21:33:29 UTC 2021

Hey there,

personally I use VirtualBox on Ubuntu mate 20.04 and it works without
any issues, though the interface is sometimes not entirely cooperating
and OCRDesktop is required to improve the accuracy of Orca clicks.

But it's definitely doable.

The usage is quite simple, you just create a new Virtual machine from
the machine menu, setting up parameters like RAM and disk space.

Then, when the machine is created, you attach the installation ISO to
its virtual CD/DVD rom, you can do this in the machine settings, Storage
tab, IDE controller (if you don't see it in the list, increase the
number of sata ports to 2).

After starting the machine with the iso attached, it should boot
automatically and start the installation.

When you're done, you can remove the installation disk from the drive,
in fact this is sometimes done automatically, but I saw cases where it
staied there, so I always check it.

Then, you can start the VM either from the VirtualBox manager, or from
its .vbox shortcut.

A final note, when running the machine, keyboard is grabbed by
VirtualBox for it. If you need to send keys to your host system, press
the right ctrl on your keyboard, it works in the same way as
Orca+Backspace combination for Orca, with the exception that the
keyboard will be grabbed again only when you reenter the window of the
machine, so you can work in your host system without any issues.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 10. 8. 2021 o 12:55 Linux for blind general discussion napísal(a):