Update on speech/media sounds

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Aug 27 17:06:46 UTC 2021

I should add that I ran this command to get the default-sink directive:
pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index:'
        name: <alsa_output.usb-C-Media_Electronics_Inc._USB_Audio_Device-00.analog-stereo>
Upon looking further, I see espeakup.service doesn't call pulseaudio. So pulse wasn't running. That would be why I did not get speech output where I expected it. It does  not appear pulseaudio has a systemd unit:
Failed to enable unit: Unit file pulseaudio.service does not exist.
It looks like applications are supposed to call it directly. Which makes sense.
I'll edit the espeakup.service unit to call pulseaudio and see if that fixes the problem.