Suggestions for Ratpoison-friendly apps?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Dec 4 17:32:23 UTC 2021

Well, you indicated you already have a text editor, and I would say
leafpad is probably the lightest one available. The best file manager I
am aware of would be caja, but you say you don't want any of the MATE
stuff. It does pull in some MATE dependencies, but it's one of the
lightest and most screen reader accessible file managers currently
available. Caja does also have desktop functionality, but you don't have
to use this unless you want it.

Some time back, some people had said they were successfully using a file
manager called pcmanfm, and it is quite a bit smaller in size than caja,
but it appears to be quite old, and the URL listed in package repositories

http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net

which redirects to

https://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM

indicates that it can't access the database, so I can't even get any
information about it. I just installed it here and tried to run it, and
I can't even get it to speak to me, so it looks like caja is your best
bet, even though it takes up a bit more disk space and pulls in a bit of
MATE along with it.

~Kyle