screen not in text mode on a braille display, how can I put it back in text mode?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Dec 8 22:37:44 UTC 2021

Hi Friends,

I do not know how many of you use a braille display with linux, but I
like braille. I am using my VarioUltra 40 as my braille display with my
linux. I hope if there are braille users here can help me solve this puzzle.

I noticed that if I boot up my Slint with the braille display turned on
and connected it works beautifully well with my screen reader. However,
If I boot my machine with the braille display is turned off or
disconnected, when I connect it or turn it on, I see the brltty 6.4
comes up on the display, but after that I can only read on the display
screen not in text mode. Even if I kill orca with the killall command
and restart orca, the Braille display only shows screen not in text
mode.  If I want to use braille I am left with no option but to reboot
the machine with the braille display is turned on and connected to my
laptop.

Is there a way of being able to activate braille even if I forget to
turn the display on and connect it to my laptop after the bootup?

Cheers,

Ibrahim