Webmail vs client question

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Dec 18 14:13:37 UTC 2021

So this came to mind earlier, and I'm wondering if I can do anything
about it, and it was prompted by an idea I had to save disk space.

I've read up on the difference with POP3 vs IMAP, and I like how
Seamonkey/Thunderbird/Claws/etc handle mail in a much easier to read
format than webmail interfaces.

But I'm wondering if there's a middle ground, if I can have a client
that lets me access my mail, but doesn't clutter up my disk? I was told
both POP3 and IMAP eat up disk space on a computer after all, and I'm
both not sure how true that is, and wondering if I can do anything to
mitigate that?