Remote Desktop Under Linux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Jan 1 14:41:56 UTC 2021

Tim here.  Indeed, as far as I know, VNC and `ssh -X` both convey the
graphics without sound.  To do that, you'd need to run a sound-server
on Windows

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Ports/Windows/Support/

and then configure your Linux audio to use that remote server for
sound.  I'm afraid I can't be of much more help than directing you to
the parts since I don't have a configuration in which I can test it.

It might be suitable for streaming audio but I imagine that the audio
latency would be pretty horrible making it difficult to use a
screen-reader unless you have a great deal of patience.

I know that the Remote Desktop (RDP) protocol has provisions for
forwarding the audio too, though it requires a fairly high-bandwidth
connection and would also be subject to latency concerns.

-tim