Is there an easy to use Equalizer for Ubuntu based Distros?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Jan 24 03:40:44 UTC 2021

Regarding text editors, well quite frankly, the selection is kind of staggering.

In the terminal, the big two are vi and emacs and their derivatives,
but there's also ed, nano(what I use), and micro that I can name off
top of my head. I like Nano because it's small, and I find it more
straight forward to use than the bit I've messed around with vi or
emacs, though coming from Windows, you might prefer micro, which is
inspired by nano but might have a more familiar set of keybindings(I'm
using nano instead of micro largely because I had already grown
acustomed to nano's quirks by the time micro came along... in nano,
some of the keybindings that might trip up someone coming from Windows
include crtl+x for closing the open file, ctrl+o to save, ctrl+k to
cut(and cutting the whole line at that), ctrl+u to paste(pasting all
lines that were cut without a keystroke other than ctrl+K), ctrl+w to
search forward, ctrl+Q to search backwards, just to name a few).

On the graphical side, I think every desktop environment has its own
text editor and then some. Gnome has gedit, KDE has Kate, LXDE has
Leafpad, there's one in there called nedit, I think there's an editor
written in Java called jedit, and I think I've used pretty much all of
them at one point or another and found them more or less
interchangeable... Granted, I haven't tried a graphical editor since
going blind... and Kate probably isn't too accessible since, as a KDE
app, it's built with the QT ttoolkit, which isn't as well supported by
Orca as GTK.

Not sure I've ever used Notepad++(I was still using a word processor
for most of my document creation when I was using Windows regularly),
but I suspect there's a lot of commonalities between it and the
graphical editors I mentioned above.

And Visual Studio is more of an integrated development environment
than a stand alone editor... Though I generally prefer to code in a
stand-alone editor and invoke a compiler from the command line when I
program, though Eclipse is one IDE that runs under Linux... Eclipse is
optimized for Java development, though I believe it can be used for
C/C++ and perhaps other related languages.

And for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure all of the editors I've
mentioned offer syntax highlighting.