Twitter, again

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jul 21 13:49:20 UTC 2021

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

> Oysttyer has been available for some time now and perl is used to run it.
> The emacs environment has ttytter available, and python has
> rainbow-twitter available.

Note that Oysttyer is the successor to TTYtter, both in Perl.  TTYtter has
not been developed since 2012 and there's probably no good reason to use
it anymore.

Oysttyer itself has not seen any commits since 2018, which is a bit
concerning.

More annoying is that all installs show up as the same app, and because of
Twitter stupidness, all count in terms of daily quotas, etc.  So it's
common to be unable to post due to quotas having been exceeded when you've
not posted anything today.

I'll spare you my rant about Twitter and the way they manage their API.
The one-line summary of it is that they should charge *users* a nominal
fee for API access and leave the poor developers alone.

I've not tried RainbowStream, I've been meaning to.  At least it seems to
be under active development.

There are some other options out there.  Searching your favourite package
manager will likely turn up some.

Cheers,
Geoff.