archinstall and espeak-ng

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Jul 22 01:28:43 UTC 2021

Though I can install a system using archinstall I have yet to get
espeak-ng to speak after first reboot.
spd-conf threw many errors when run didn't have directories and wouldn't
create them so speech-dispatcher could be started automatically along with
other errors.
The first time I chose xorg for install type and I expect though that got
me a system it was speechless.
Then I tried minimal with no better luck.
One of the things I was told was that no audio server would be installed
even though alsa-utils and alsa-plugins were both installed.
The sound card does pop when the system comes up.
Two things on the system that wouldn't install were pcspkr and sg in the
kernel so no grub beep on the way up.  That's usually not a problem since
if I can find a sound file to play at boot up I can make that happen if
necessary.
My extra packages line was:
lynx surfraw alsa-plugins-alsa-utils espeak-ng mlocate pulseaudio
speech-dispatcher
Why I didn't install a desktop is I like to be able to login on the
console and run on the console and only if I need the desktop for
something then run startx and use the desktop.
First computer I used was an Ampro little board Series 100! with cp/m and
after that pcdos and msdos and Apple with Sam it was only very late I
touched Windows and the experience with Windows is why Windows isn't on
any of my equipment.
Among others service pack install fails some of them spectacular.  When I
did use windows, I had tech support I could call and in time get some
help.  No tech support now I'm retired.