audio cutting and exporting

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Jul 22 10:57:53 UTC 2021

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

> 1) if your input files are MP3, using "mp3splt" (that's "split"
> without the letter "i") manages to do it without losing quality as
> would normally happen if you load a .mp3 converting it to raw audio
> data, slice & dice, and then re-encode it back as a new .mp3 file.

You can also split Ogg Vorbis files with this tool.

A couple of other splitting options.

For raw/wav files, soundgrab is a simple console-based file splitter which
lets you move around the file and select regions to be exported.  I've
been using it for many many years for simple command-line-based file
editing.

As the main website for it now seems to be down, you can get it from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/soundgrab/

I usually use it in conjunction with sox and the quelcom tools (especially
qwavjoin and qwavinfo to perform file editing.

Note that the quelcom tools also  have mp3 utils but I've never had much
luck with them.  For mp3 I usually use madplay to find the split-points
and mp3splt to do the splitting.

Finally ffmpeg should be able to slice up files without re-encoding but
I've never actually used it for this so I don't know how good a job it
does.

HTH,
Geoff.