archinstall and espeak-ng

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Jul 22 14:06:02 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 09:28:43PM -0400, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Though I can install a system using archinstall I have yet to get
> espeak-ng to speak after first reboot.
> spd-conf threw many errors when run didn't have directories and wouldn't
> create them so speech-dispatcher could be started automatically along with
> other errors.

if you don't want to use gui, you don't need speech-dispatcher.

> The first time I chose xorg for install type and I expect though that got
> me a system it was speechless.
> Then I tried minimal with no better luck.
> One of the things I was told was that no audio server would be installed
> even though alsa-utils and alsa-plugins were both installed.
> The sound card does pop when the system comes up.
> Two things on the system that wouldn't install were pcspkr and sg in the
> kernel so no grub beep on the way up.  That's usually not a problem since
> if I can find a sound file to play at boot up I can make that happen if
> necessary.

pc-speaker module are included in the arch kernel, no need to install it.
moreover grub don't need pcspeaker module to beep at boot.

> My extra packages line was:
> lynx surfraw alsa-plugins-alsa-utils espeak-ng mlocate pulseaudio
> speech-dispatcher

to make system talk at boot you need to install and start espeakup.
I recommend reading the installation instructions with accessibility options on
the arch wiki [1]

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Install_Arch_Linux_with_accessibility_options

--
Sincerely, Alexander