Running Android Voices in Linux?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 14:45:41 UTC 2021

Hi Karen,
I'm in California. I'd be happy to connect with your associate if he'd be interested.
I've been a bit preoccupied the last couple of days with looking around for a new computer, so I havn't made the time to read yet if there is any licensing involved if one were to create a program linking Ivona to Orca/Speakup and widely distributing it.
Of course I would prefer to work with purely open source software.
But as far as I know, Ivona is proprietary, like with the Ivona voice I use on Windows, I had to purchase it and thats just an individual copy.
But Readspeaker apparently offers an Ivona sdk compatible with Linux, and then of course there are the files that Chime found, so I'm assuming there must be some sort of licensing involved to distribute it on a global level as a plugin/add-on to Orca and Console readers. I think Ivona voices are some of the best quality out there, so I think its worth it to work with proprietary software in this case. I just have not familiarized myself with the legalities of it yet, (assuming there must be some). I plan to take a look at it today.
If your associate is in California, or even if he is in a different state but still interested, perhaps he has associates on the West Coast, or could contribute his skills remotely.
I'm up for connecting with anyone who is interested.
Please let him know that I do not yet have a project team up and going, but that is the goal I am aiming for if putting Ivona on Linux is possible. I am in the beginning stages of reaching out to people who might be interested, and seeing if it is possible to make this work. I hope to have the opportunity to connect with him and put something together.
Ok, I'm off to go read up on the documentation for those files now. Hopefully I'll be a bit more versed on the legalities when I check in tomorrow.
Thanks,
SL