FYI - The Yggdrasil Screen Reader Project

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Nov 2 12:14:49 UTC 2021

     OK this is just one example you cite, but what the hell is object
navigation? What the hell is an object? I had to try that once and was
nothing but confused by it. Flat review works, and although it's not
perfect, it does work well enough for me to know what is in a window
that is not being read out loud right away, and I can either click a
control with mouse emulation or even route the real mouse pointer to it
and click it, again with mouse emulation, or God forbid, a real mouse,
or even a trackball if I so desire. Now that's good stuff right there.
No, it's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good for what it does, and
it's certainly not some confusing as hell object shit. Does this NVDA
even know what a flat review is or how to allow you to navigate a window
other than by some black magic that is objects?

And if they decide they want to take the whole source of the page out of
my browser and stick it into some concept of a virtual screen reader
buffer, then I'm certainly done with it before it ever gets started. The
virtual buffer was an ugly and frankly shitty hack that never should
have been introduced into a screen reader, but every screen reader over
there implemented it because this jaws cream of the crap you speak of
did it first, so naturally everybody had to do it. Again, Orca's browser
implementation is certainly not perfect, and if you think you can
improve upon it or even reinvent it in such a way that it actually works
better, then you're certainly welcome to try. Just stop trashing Orca in
the process. It's not perfect, but it's certainly not a stinking pile of
poo-poo either. Now that Jaws over there, yeah, that one's a damn
stinking pile of poo-poo, and I really wish people would get it out of
their heads to say that they do so much right when all they do has been
wrong from day one. Table with 3 columns and 37 rows has shown up in
emails people have copied to me more times than I can cound, and you can
quite easily guess what they used to copy the text. Frankly, it's beyond
disgusting.