FYI - The Yggdrasil Screen Reader Project

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Nov 2 12:49:31 UTC 2021

And there's my point. I did read documentation, but I shouldn't have to
take a class or get a degree to figure out how part of my screen reader
is supposed to work. I shouldn't come out of reading documentation to
try to figure out part of my screen reader only to be left more confused
than when I started either. I turned on Orca and figured it out right
away, whereas when I needed to try to get nvda working just to partition
a disk for someone I was working with at the time, it failed miserably,
and getting a degree in screen reader design and development just to
figure out what an object was or how to navigate it simply would not do.

And I do believe you were made aware of why there is a difference
between navigation key toggling and focus mode. OK yes, I rather dislike
focus mode in general, since I can remember when Orca's browser
navigation just worked, and I could navigate to a text box and just
start typing something and it would just work, and I could simply tab
off the textbox to interact with the next control. Sadly those days are
gone, although there is a setting that gives me back much of this
functionality. I do still have to turn off structural navigation in some
cases where I don't want focus mode, but this is due to the website I'm
using. Focus mode on the nearest text field on textnow.com for example
puts me in a field where I would be sending a text message, which is not
what I want to do when I'm calling a system that needs me to dial
numbers. And entering into focus mode on an odd part of the page locks
me into that section, so I am unable to read up or down if needed.
Fortunately in this case, all I have to do is to turn off structural
navigation anywhere on the page and just dial the numbers I need. The
same is true of Google Voice, which I use extensively for my job that
requires that I enter an agent number and a one-time password to be
connected. I have found it much easier to just type in my codes with
structural navigation turned off than to have to go and open the dial
pad, then find the open text box, which puts me into focus mode and then
dial my codes. Again, is it perfect? No, not by any stretch, but it's
also not unusable or even painful. Toggling structural navigation allows
you to use your navigation keys to do other things in places where you
don't want focus mode, and I for one don't want to see this
functionality taken away because you or someone else thinks it's
unnecessary. It is certainly a necessary part of my workflow, as
demonstrated above.