anonymous postings

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Nov 5 22:07:37 UTC 2021

> On Nov 4, 2021, at 05:42, Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Tim here.  You're not the only one frustrated by the anonymous postings.

My take is that it's mostly a technological problem.  Most of the folks posting aren't really trying to be anonymous; they just forget to sign their messages because in most lists this isn't necessary.  So, I've done a bit of digging for a solution; early details follow...

This list is running on Mailman 2.1.12, which is rather ancient (the current 2.1.x release is 2.1.35).  Complicating matters somewhat, Mailman 2.1.x runs on Python 2, which is going away.  Consequently, most of the development effort is being spent on Mailman 3, which runs on Python 3.

At some point it would probably make sense to upgrade to a current version of Mailman.  However, this could be quite a hassle (different base language, code base, configuration file syntax, etc.)

And, in any event, neither branch of Mailman appears to provide any way to identify posters by name without revealing their email addresses.  I have posted issues on both branches; I'll report back if and when I hear anything promising.

- Rich Morin