In the mood for something new

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Nov 26 14:05:29 UTC 2021

Hi Kyle,

answers after inline after the quoted lines

 > RPM packaging format, a plugin-based modular package management tool
 > along with graphical package management
I have used Mandrake nearly 20 years ago, it already used RPM ;)

Slint uses the simple package format from Slackware and use the slapt-get
package  tool to manage the packages. It includes the gslapt graphical
front-end, handles dependencies resolution and notification of updates
on the
desktop. No Slint users requested more so far.
https://slint.fr/doc/HandBook.html#software_management

 > the copr system including semiautomatic serverside builds
Very nice, but do most end users need that?

To build packages from the building scripts repository
https://slackbuilds.org
Slint includes the slapt-src application, very easy to use.
https://slint.fr/doc/HandBook.html#slapt_src

 > the choice of a release cycle or a rolling release model,
Well, that looks nice however reading the messages in this list
and elsewhere I am not sure that every user be happy with that...

Anyway my preferred release offer by FreeBSD, which
also offers a choice between two branches:
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/cutting-edge/#stable
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/cutting-edge/#current

I think that most of our users would not like a rolling release model,
so Slint
follow semi-rolling model: releases are made on the basis of Slackware, but
then a lot of software a kept up to date including all the ones needed for
accessibility, as shows this ChangeLog:

https://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/ChangeLog.txt

 > snapd and flatpak installable from official repositories or installed
 > by default

Well, I am not fond of these packaging systems. Anyway flatpak can be
get from
https://slackbuilds.org as I just did (honest: had to fetch manually source
tarball of two deps due to broken links in the scripts, but not a daunting
task).

 > not a derivative distro
I didn't plan to create a derivative distro, but Patrick Volkerding didn't
accept to include in Slackware the stuff needed to internationalize  it and
make it accessible, that's why I had to. I won't complain, being fond of
system integration.

 > far more software applications available from all of system
repositories,
 > third-party repositories that can be added easily
By far not as many available packages as for Debian ;)
I am impressed also by FreeBSD's ports and packages collection. It
contains a
lot of Linux software, really a lot often up to date.

 > all the newest software versions with support for the
 > latest compilers, toolchains and system libraries, no need to hold back
 > new upstream software because a toolchain or compiler is out of date
While it is true that we have a very old gcc and glibc (waiting for the
release
of Slackware 15 to upgrade), this have rarely been an issue here (read our
ChangeLog to check).

 > broad and diverse community support
Well, our mailing list is pretty active and can provide answer coming
directly
from the guy who maintain the distribution and packages all software in its
repositories. Try that with Fedora ;)

 >systemd, which I happen to like

I don't feel a need for that. sysvinit in Slint works pretty well, and
no user
ever requested to replace it by systemd.
I really like the init system used by FreeBSD though.
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?init

 > and Pipewire and Wireplumber installed by default, although these do
 > still have their bugs.
Well, we will have that in next Slint version.

This being said, Slint may not be for users looking for the most
bleeding edge.

Bottom line: I am always eager of feedback to enhance Slint.
So my friend your next mission, if you accept it, is to install Slint
(possibly
on a removable device, including a good SD card if your firmware can handle
booting from it) and report all found issues.

All needed information is in the HandBook:
https://slint.fr/doc/HandBook.html

Cheers,
Didier