Any suggestions of what distro of Linux I should load onto a new computer?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 01:11:22 UTC 2021

I have tried running Linux Mint, Mate addition, but there are things that just doesn't work correctly, and I'm not spending the time to make my machine do what I need it to do.

An example of this, any LTS Ubuntu or Ubuntu spin will be running BRLTTY 6.0, and getting the newest to work is a pain, and, yes, I need 6.3 at least, because any older doesn't support my BrailleOne from Humanware.

Getting my ready built Windows Qemu VM to work is also rather painfull.

My suggestion for a Linux distro for both the newbie and old hand would be Slint, a very good distro based on Slackware and Salix.

Everything works very well, mostly out of the box, however, if you are fixated on using Systemd, don't touch any Slackware based distros.

If you want to give it a go, get it from slint.fr <http://slint.fr/>.

I had to put Winbloat back on my Huawei MateBook, but I cannot bare the pain anymore, thus, after I wake back up, I will be putting trusty Slint back where it should be, in the place of the spyware masquerading as an operating system which all right thinking humans should hate on principle.

Yes, I'm tired, thus, more brutally honest than usual.

Warm regards,

Brandt Steenkamp

Sent from my MacBook Air

Contact:

Phone: +27 (0)60 525 9181 <tel://+27605259181>

Email: brandt.steenkamp at gmail.com <mailto:brandt.steenkamp at gmail.com>

Twitter: @brandtsteenkamp <http://www.twitter.com/brandtsteenkamp>