GRUB boot tone on Fedora

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 23:12:59 UTC 2021

Here's what I've tried

Update /etc/default/grub and append GRUB_INIT_TUNE="440 480 1"

run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

Confirmed that "play 440 480 1" exists on /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

Still got no beep on boot. Previously with Debian on this laptop, I have
beep during boot therefore it is not hardware issue.

I do not wish to reinstall debian just to get it's grub config :)

Regards

On 10/13/21 9:06 PM, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> As root edit /etc/defaults/grub and uncomment the line with Tune on it
> then save that file.  Next run grub-update then reboot.
> If the computer hasn't got a speaker, some don't you may need to find and
> install the rc.local package then put a file in /etc/rc.local/rc.local.d/
> with a script that plays a sound and make that script executeable.  I
> solved that problem that way for a friend once.
>

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2021, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>

>> I want to try Fedora on my laptop. So far I really like the experience from
>> installation and all.
>>
>> -- Next I want to add some minor tweak which I like from Debian based system
>> which is boot tone.
>>
>> I try adding "play x y z" to /boot/grub2/grub.cfg but nothing happened.
>>
>> I hope someone can throw some suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Btw, it's an UEFI system.
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Edhoari Setiyoso