rhvoice broken on Arch

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Sep 18 20:51:52 UTC 2021

Hi, Alexander:

Linux for blind general discussion writes:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 11:43:58AM -0400, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:> > Dear All:
> > rhvoice is one package that was new this week. It's not working with
> > Speech-Dispatcher. When I do a Alt+F2 and type 'orca -r' I hear the
> > dummy driver audio message.
>
> it seems someone doesn't read the terminal after the update, does it?

Guilty as charged. But, that's a lot of screenfuls to pipe through less
every week.

I only realized it was upgraded after doing a ls -lrt on
/var/cache/pacman/pkg/.

It's the only way I know to get pacman to report on what was upgraded in
reverse chronological order. Maybe someone knows the real way to get
pacman to report? I've not succeeded trying to google it.

> you now need to install the voices that you are using separately. for example:
> # pacman -S rhvoice-voice-{alan,slt}

Yes, thank you. That does improve performance greatly!

PS: Where can I learn more, for example other lang voices I might want?
No man page, nothing in /usr/share/doc -- so where?

> > Sorry, Alexander!
>
> I don’t know why you are apologizing, but in any case, you don’t need to do this.

Fair enough. I just don't like being pesky, and I've been unable to
succeed reliably with espeakup-0.90 for weeks now.

I'm glad to hear you and Kirk are working on that. Also, as Didier
suggested, I will see if rebuilding pcaudiolib without pulse might help.
I try to avoid pulse, so it's possible I'm missing some piece it wants.
Best,

Janina