rhvoice broken on Arch

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Sep 18 21:29:52 UTC 2021

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 04:51:52PM -0400, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Hi, Alexander:
>
> Linux for blind general discussion writes:
> > On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 11:43:58AM -0400, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:> > Dear All:
> > > rhvoice is one package that was new this week. It's not working with
> > > Speech-Dispatcher. When I do a Alt+F2 and type 'orca -r' I hear the
> > > dummy driver audio message.
> >
> > it seems someone doesn't read the terminal after the update, does it?
> >
> Guilty as charged. But, that's a lot of screenfuls to pipe through less
> every week.

hmm. I am using tmux and it makes the easie to read any output.
I strongly advise you to develop this habit for you, it will help to
avoid problems in the future.

> I only realized it was upgraded after doing a ls -lrt on
> /var/cache/pacman/pkg/.
>
> It's the only way I know to get pacman to report on what was upgraded in
> reverse chronological order. Maybe someone knows the real way to get
> pacman to report? I've not succeeded trying to google it.
>
> > you now need to install the voices that you are using separately. for example:
> > # pacman -S rhvoice-voice-{alan,slt}
> >
> Yes, thank you. That does improve performance greatly!
>
> PS: Where can I learn more, for example other lang voices I might want?
> No man page, nothing in /usr/share/doc -- so where?

look at Optional Deps in pacman -Qi rhvoice output.

> > > Sorry, Alexander!
> >
> > I don’t know why you are apologizing, but in any case, you don’t need to do this.
> >
> Fair enough. I just don't like being pesky, and I've been unable to
> succeed reliably with espeakup-0.90 for weeks now.

I'm also sorry that I haven't been able to help you with this yet.

> I'm glad to hear you and Kirk are working on that. Also, as Didier
> suggested, I will see if rebuilding pcaudiolib without pulse might help.
> I try to avoid pulse, so it's possible I'm missing some piece it wants.

oo you don't have pulse installed? this is important information.

--
Sincerely, Alexander