Fwd: [systemd-devel] Dropping split-usr/unmerged-usr support

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 15:49:03 UTC 2022

Hi Immo and All,

Didier here.

thanks for the heads-up, answer inline.

Le 06/04/2022 à 14:50, Linux for blind general discussion a écrit :
> Hi All!
>
> Immo here.
>
> Sorry for my ignorance and disturbing the usual chatter on the list.
>
> I guess this is at least for Didier. There are also other speaking
> distros out there that systemd people might not be aware of so I
> forwarded the original message here.
>
> Feel free to answer to my message. I'll forward it to systemd-devel
> if needed.

Well, Slint:
1. is based on Slackware and uses the same layout, so I forward this answer to
its maintainer, Patrick J. Volkerding (he is not subscribed to this list as far
as I know).
2. as Slackware, Slint does not uses systemd as its init system so far but
includes kind of a  compatibility layer, mostly elogind. We also use eudev
instead of udev.
3. As Slackware, Slint has an "unmerged-usr" layout so far, i.e. bin, sbin and
lib* are not symlinks to their counterparts under /usr.

This being said I do not know which changes Patrick intends to do for the next
Slackware version on this respect but intend to follow suite with Slint.

> Distribution maintainers might also want to join systemd-devel if
> not already there.

What I fail to grasp is the possible consequences of this change for
distributions not using systemd as their init system. Any clue on that is
welcome. If understand well, as long as we do not change our layout  we do not
need that our (custom made, not using dracut) initramfs implements the changes
mentioned in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove

Cheers,
Didier
--