FYI - Command Line Programs for the Blind

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 10:31:53 UTC 2022

To me, I want text mode versions of familiar programs. Chrys seems to have a knack of doing that fairly well as of late too, since that gets me the ease of use of a text program, with familiar shortcuts and the power of a full fledged program.

If I want to use something that works for what /I/ want, I'll use dragonfm for moving or deleting or opening up files. I've been breaking and reporting bugs with it and called it a text version of Caja or Nautlius and it....pretty much is. That being said not all command line programs are as useful, or as easy to use.

Text mode and command line email? Certainly doable. I use Mutt instead of Thunderbird for example, but I have yet to find a text console web browser that lets me do all the things Firefox can. W3m doesn't support Javascript or headings or....you get the drift, so for some things, a CLI program is better and simpler with less work involved (for example on Mutt I can just open up my Blinux list folder, hit end, R, type then y to send, no need to tab 10 times then enter then ctrl+r then ctrl+enter to send this email), but I have zero clue where to even begin with a text only web browser since everything needs JS or CSS or...which text mode browsers don't really support that well.

That and I'd argue lumping all blind users into the same boat is pretty dangerous as well. What works for me may not work for Didier for example, we both come at the same problem from different angles but to just look at us and go oh blind users, they do things this way doesn't really work