FYI - Command Line Programs for the Blind

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 01:05:36 UTC 2022

Oh wow! I can't see who you are because this list obscures the sender's
email for security reasons, but I love everything you just said. My
whole focus when I was doing my computer business thing was to work with
everyone, not just certain everyones. I probably had more customers who
could see than I had who did not have working eyeballs, but my point of
sale for everyone was to upgrade the OS on their computers to make it
run faster and more securely. Yes, I did at one time work with Sonar and
with F123, and even worked a little with the attempts to revive Vinux,
but it actually didn't hurt too much when both Sonar and Vinux pretty
much went the way of the dodo. I guess I could express my feeling as a
slight disappointment, but not much more. F123 was a little different,
as I was a paid contractor working on it, so that did hurt quite a bit
more, I mean no one wants to stop making money, but even that was
manageable.

Now that I know that I am to make a major career move, I will be having
to put my face out there for the world to see. But the one thing I
noticed is that my instructor in the class I'm taking to get me started
on this new career path, when she learned that I am blind, kept this
fact to herself when I asked her specifically about a non-visual
alternative to something in the class, saying instead that she knew why
I was asking the question and tried to answer it to the best of her
ability. I felt like this recognized my humanity above all, and that is
a very good thing. ANd having been selected for this class and having
worked with this instructor prior to it, having purchased related
educational materials and even having won a contest from her based on my
abilities, not on my non-working eyeballs - she had no idea at that time
that they don't work - I know that I am in the right place at the right
time dealing with the right person/people. I'm not "the blind," I'm not
treated as "the blind," and I'm not even selected for anything because
of my blindness. I am human, and my skillset and the fact that I know I
want to improve my skills and am passionate about the career path I'm
taking are what propell me to my destiny, and that just feels much
better somehow. I tried to express this to someone who is on this same
career path who said that we should support people just because they are
blind, but he didn't seem to get it. I simply couldn't make him
understand that it's our skills and our abilities, as well as the
positive impact that we make on the people around us and on the world
that make us successful, not the blind beggar mentality that says I need
you to support the poor blink. These are people who I would say exude
negative energy, and I have decided that I only want my spirit to be fed
by positivity.

~Kyle