FYI - Command Line Programs for the Blind

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 14:45:19 UTC 2022

I'd like to know why identities are not revealed, I have my guesses,
privacy, security, avoiding harvesting by bots and being suddenly
swarmed with spam just for posting on a list...but it'd be good to know
the reason why from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Well, I'm not the horse, but I remember very clearly the problem and the
subsequent resolution that obscured the identity of the sender. I was
one of those people back about 7 or 8 years ago as I recall who posted
to this list and got swarmed by mostly explicit porn spam after every
post. I was not the only one who had a problem with this. So someone did
write the list administrator, and it eventually led to the sender's
identity being obscured from the From: header as well as all other
headers that may have the sender's email address. Oddly, I've never had
this problem on any other list, but it was a huge problem on this list
at one point, which is what led to the changes made here. I'm not sure
what led to the spammer getting access to the email addresses, but at
that time, removing them from the headers seemed to be the best
resolution. Perhaps it is a good idea to revisit this now that I'm sure
software has been updated sufficiently to resolve problems like this
without taking such drastic measures, but I for one don't want to see
the spam swarms come back just by posting to this list. I hope this
clears things up just a bit.

~Kyle