FYI - Command Line Programs for the Blind

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 18:11:38 UTC 2022

Al, to be fair I'm not sure when you last tried Mutt, ut I've run across a lot of sample configs that are just copy into a text file and plug your info in and save as .muttrc in your home directory and it workks, a quick search of mutt gmail config or mutt hotmail config usually leads to several sample ones to use. Thoughh I'm still unsure if anyone's made sensible modern keybinds or emaccs/emacspeak however, I've no clue where to even begin with that with the sheer amount of keys/keystrokes that'd need changing up

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 02:01:27PM -0400, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Kyle, I'm very glad to know that a Linux user with your level of knowledge
> can still say that Emacs and Mutt have steeper learning curves than you find
> worth the trouble.  (Correct me if I've oversimplified your view.) As it
> happens, I've decided to try again with both Emacs and Emacspeak, and
> possibly Mutt, but now I don't feel like such a dummy for having had trouble
> with this software in my early and even later days with Linux.
>

> Best!
>
> Al
>

> On 4/13/22 19:34, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> > These debates can be both informative and useful for those new to linux
> > > who haven't made their choices yet.
> >

> > Unfortunately I would say probably not. Usually in situations like this,
> > once someone trying to make a choice to come to Linux or to stay where
> > they are sees all this get lost in a shell and hand-edit config file
> > kind of stuff, they usually run away before they get stuck in the
> > quicksand. Or worse, they end up tossing the virtual machine someone
> > told them to try into the recycle bin because it is just too hard to
> > use. Of course this also applies when new users are trying to find out
> > what applications are available for this or that and they are told of
> > EMACS, Mutt, Vim and the finer points of what people affectionately call
> > "links the chain" and "lynx the cat" vs w3m with all their quirks, or
> > having to learn how to get startx to play nice so that they can run a
> > more capable browser like the Firefox, Google Chrome or Brave that they
> > are used to using, that is not only more comfortable, but is necessary
> > on today's web, when all they had to do was to run a live iso of a
> > ready-made distribution with a fairly modern desktop on it and they
> > could be right at home in minutes. If someone asks me about this Linux
> > thing they heard about, I like to tell them about what they can have up
> > and running and feel fairly comfortable using in about 30 minutes or
> > less, and if they like that, great. Then if they want to learn more
> > about the power user stuff they can do, then and only then would I even
> > mention a terminal, a shell or terminal applications. I probably still
> > wouldn't say too much about EMACS or Mutt other than their availability
> > though, since even though I've been using various Linux distros for
> > almost 20 years, started of all things on Slackware, and even ran a home
> > web and email server fairly early on, even I gave up on both of those
> > because of the steep learning curve involved in just getting past the
> > initial setup process. Even now, even though I still have my own mail
> > and web servers, I still tend to use things like ISPConfig for my server
> > administration, since although the web server is very easy to set up,
> > deploying a mailbox on a virtual domain is still not for the faint of
> > heart, unless it has an automated script like what comes in most
> > web-based control panels that makes it much easier to set up. I mean if
> [...]

Jace's words are up there. Quoted and old messages below this point